Serving Florida And Surrounding Areas

Sample U.S. Social Security card.

Changing Your Name on Your Social Security Card

If you’re changing your name, you’ll want to change your name with the Social Security Administration so they can update their records and send you a corrected card. They will also take care of any benefits that have been earned by the new legal name. www.ssa.gov has all of the forms you will need. In COVID19 times, most offices are closed and you will need to send them the forms as well as your identification. I recommend a Passport because no one want to be without their Drivers License for a couple of weeks. They will return your documents to you along with your new Social Security Card with your new name. 

To have your name change reflected on your Social Security card, you will need to show official documents proving the legal name change, and also proving your identity. U.S. Citizens must also show a document proving citizenship, it not already in the Administration’s records. You will need your original documents, or certified copies certified by the issuer. Photocopies or notarized copies will not be accepted for this.

You need one of the following documents as proof of legal name change:

  • Divorce decree
  • Marriage document
  • Naturalization certificate showing a new name
  • Court order for a name change

You also need to show an unexpired photo document showing your name and identifying details for proof of identity, such as one of the following:

  • U.S. Passport
  • U.S. driver’s license
  • State-issued non-driver identification card

Other documents we may be able to accept, if you don’t have one of those identification items, include:

  • Health Insurance Card
  • School ID card
  • U.S. Military ID
  • Employer ID card

You must show one of the following documents to prove U.S. Citizenship:

  • U.S. Passport (unexpired)
  • U.S. birth certificate
  • U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship

No matter why you’re changing your name, the Social Security Administration will help you move forward with your new name. You can find a form online along with instructions for receiving your new Social Security card. You can also locate your local field office at this link here so you can apply in person with your required documents.

Additional instructions can be found on the Social Security website, including information for non-citizens. www.ssa.gov has all of the forms and informations you will nee

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *